Memorizing Verses?3-minute video by John Piper on the importance of memorizing scripture.
Rick Warren The Purpose Driven Life says "Scripture memory is a habit that most Christians have never even tried, but getting your members to hide God's word in their hearts brings personal revival and renewal."
WHY MEMORIZE VERSES?
1. It helps me resist temptation. Jesus used scripture to resist the devil's temptations. (Matt. 4)
"I have hidden your Word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Psalm 119:11
2. It helps me make wise decisions. "Your Word is a lamp to guide me and a light for my path." Ps. 119:105
3. It strengthens me when I'm under stress. "... Your promises to me are my hope.
They give me strength in all my troubles; how they refresh and revive me!" Ps. 119:49 (LB)
4. It comforts me when I'm sad. "Your words are what sustain me ...
They bring joy to my sorrowing heart and delight me." Jeremiah 15:16 (LB)
5. It helps me talk with others about the Bible with more confidence.
"Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." 1 Peter 3:15